2 airmen. Tarm Isolated Graves (CWGC-name)
British War Graves at
the crossroads Østermarkvej/Aadumvej. This is consecrated ground.
See the Danish memorial stone to the airmen from
“Having laid mines in the Kattegat on the night before 13 March, 1945 a Lancaster
was on the return flight to England. However, it was very suddenly attacked by
German night fighter over West Jutland and it caught fire.
5 of the 7 members of the crew managed to bail out with their parachutes, while
the two gunners, D. Morris
and H.J. Porter, were still sitting in the plane,
when it crashed, burning, into Svend Jensen´s field in Østergårde.
People from the civil defence in Tarm got the two deceased out of the wreck
during the night and drove them the hospital in Tarm. The Germans fetched their
here in the afternoon of the next day. They were put into bags and then
placed on carrier Chr. Andersen´s horse-drawn carriage. The carrier thought that
Germans were gross, but as he was forcibly conscripted, he could do
The transport was to the plantation just east of the town, where the Germans dug
a hole and tumbled the bodies down.
The carrier was severely instructed not to tell
about what had happened, but he
did so right away.
Just as the burying was taking place the church bells started ringing. The
Germans went to the church and
complained about it, but the evening bells were
rung for the sun going down.
On 4 May at night a man from the town went to the place of the burying and made
a stone square, where he placed two Danish flags and a RAF-badge. In that way
the place was decorated before the church bells rang for the peace on 5 May in
On 14 June, 1945 the parish council decided to donate the spot for the
and at the same time took on the obligation to keep the plots, which were
established for collected money.
On Sunday 12 August, 1945 the airmen got a Christian funeral. About 800 people
attended the ceremony at the graves, which were decorated with a sea of flowers
and wreaths. When a platoon of British soldiers had lined up and after the first
hymn rural dean P.B. Gadegaard spoke:
“We owe the two young men who rest here and their country a great debt of
gratitude. Now they rest far from their loved ones and their homes, but they
friends, who will guard their memory. They were put into the ground
by the hands of the enemy without a single Christian ceremony. We have wanted
them to rest in consecrated ground.” Then the rural dean blessed the graves.
Later chairman of the parish council H. Gravesen said, “The town has erected
this memorial and I ask the residents to help the parish council guard this
and decorate it, just as we have done today, so it will be a memory for
future generations.” The chairman of the parish council then laid a wreath in
the RAF colours
from the parish council.
Finally Squadron Leader Smart from Vandel Air Base stood forward and saluted the
In 1961 the Commonwealth War Graves Commission wanted to transfer the bodies to
Fourfeld Cemetery at Esbjerg, but after objections from
rural dean Gadegaard
and the Municipality of Egvad it never happened. The plot
is kept by the staff of Tarm Church.
(Source: Information table on the spot)